Thursday, May 17, 2012

First week of clinic

This week was my first week of clinical. It's been a little rough. I'm doing my required rotation in outpatient orthopedics, which is a field I don't like. That alone is enough to make it a long 8 weeks. Even though my CI is nice and the clinic I'm at is very well-run, I still don't like outpatient PT and I don't know if I ever will. It just seems very monotonous and boring to me. You see the same patients and do the same exercises day after day and it gets old fast. I'm not going to complain too much, because I really do like the clinic I'm at compared to other clinics I've seen, but it's just not for me.

It's also been hard to adjust because the hours are so long. I have to be there at 7:45am, which means I need to leave my apartment at 7:15am. Which means that if I want to do my devotions, go for a run, eat breakfast, and take a shower, I have to wake up at 5am. Not fun for someone who likes their sleep. I know I could push a few things till the evening, but the thing is I don't get off work till 5:30pm and I don't get home till 6pm. Once I get home and eat dinner it's already 7pm and then I only have a few hours before I have to go to bed. And I know if I leave too many things till the evening, they won't get done at all because I'll be tired by the end of the day.

My mom says "welcome to the working world". I told her I have to work 9.5 hour days which is longer than a typical workday. But I guess lots of people work longer than an 8 hour day now. I never realized how little time people have when they work a full time job. I feel like I have no time at all to get anything else done. The frustrating part is that I was just starting to get into a routine with my workouts and devotions and now I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to get it all done. Sigh. Why is it so freaking hard to work out in the morning? It's like everything conspires against me to keep it from happening. I've been trying to make it work this week, but I've also been tired during the day. I'm going to have to be creative to get in my workouts!

Interestingly, 8 hour workdays were not always standard. During the industrial revolution, factory employees worked much longer than 8 hours. Ford Motor was one of the first companies to implement an 8 hour work day and productivity sky-rocketed as a result. I found an interesting article on the subject here.

No comments:

Post a Comment