Sunday, November 10, 2013

As I contemplate running another marathon

"The magic of a marathon isn't in the 26.2 miles on race day; it's in the nearly 500 miles of training that happens in the months before. It's in the countless feelings, frustrations, and fears I have worked through while running down those desolate tree-lined roads. You see, I wasn't supposed to be a runner. But I am. And my life is better because I chose to be one. "
As I think about running a spring marathon, I feel daunted. I remember all the training I had to go through last year. All the long runs, and ice baths, early mornings, and sore muscles. Most of all, I remember all the time I committed to running. Making such a huge commitment again is intimidating to say the least.

Then I remember who I was a few years ago. I was someone who couldn't run 3 miles, let alone 26. I never dreamed I could run a marathon. Somewhere in those months of training, I learned how to push myself, how to discipline myself. I was determined. I ran when I didn't want to. I kept going when it got hard. I decided I was going to be the kind of person who never gives up. Running taught me a lot about myself and about who I could be if I set my goals high enough.

I want to run another marathon not because I desperately want to run 26.2 miles, but because I want to be that kind of person again.

No comments:

Post a Comment