Thursday, August 14, 2014

8 mile challenge

Sometimes runs can get a bit boring, especially if I'm running in the same area, or running the same distance. Lately it seems my training plan includes a ton of 8 mile runs! I blogged earlier about "fast finishes"- attempting to run the last mile or two progressively faster. I actually got the idea from a running blog I happened to read one day. I've really enjoyed this running strategy as a way to spice up my mid-distance runs.

Yesterday I decided to challenge myself a little more. I was running an 8 mile out-and-back. I set a goal of running each mile progressively faster for the first 4 miles, then starting over on the way back, and running each mile progressively faster on the way back. Seemed like a good plan.

I ran the first mile in 9:34. That is a fairly challenging pace for me. I wondered what I was getting myself into! but I stuck to the plan and tried to pick up the pace with each mile.
1
9:34.6
1.00
9:35
2
9:27.5
1.00
9:28
3
9:28.0
1.00
9:28
4
9:17.4
1.00
9:17

After mile 4 (which had a few small hills), I thought no way am I going to be able to do this on the way back. But I was going to try at least. I took mile 5 a little easier, since every mile after that would have to be faster if I was going to stick to the plan.

I ran mile 5 in 9:29. Try as I could, mile 6 was a tad slower. I was tired and couldn't seem to pick up the pace. But then this happened:
5
9:29.0
1.00
9:29
6
9:30.6
1.00
9:30
7
9:07.2
1.00
9:07
8
8:46.2
1.00
8:46
On mile 7 I was trying to find my rhythm again so I could have a strong finish. Then- and this is what saved my run- I spotted a girl ahead of me. She was running at a good pace, but I was running just a teeny bit faster than her. As mile 7 rolled by, I was gaining on her, bit by bit. Then it got to the point where I was right on her heels, and I HAD to pass her or run awkwardly close behind her.

I picked up a little extra speed to pass her. Then I only had a mile left. I couldn't slow down because I just put in all this effort to pass that chick. And the STRANGEST thing happened. I felt like a runner. A tired, red-faced, very sweaty runner, but a runner. I felt like I was running so fast, and I felt so strong. I got a serious dump of adrenaline. Even though I had felt slow and tired 2 miles before, now I felt like I was running on air. It felt AWESOME. I finished strong.

It's been awhile since I got a really good runner's high. This running challenge was so worth it.
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary
1:14:44.0
8.01
9:20

No comments:

Post a Comment