Thursday, February 19, 2015

TILT: Things I Love Thursday

These are the things I've been loving lately (in no particular order):

1. Fruit trail mix.  I basically love dried fruit in general, particularly dried banana and dates. I never knew how much I loved dates! They are delicious. I also like dried papaya, mango, and pineapple. And craisins have been a favorite staple in my salads for a long time.

2. Books about Navy SEALS. I'm on a kick reading books written by, or about, Navy SEALS. I listened to "No Hero" by Mark Owen on audiotape, and now I'm listening to "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle. I went to see the movie American Sniper last weekend and it was very well done. I want to read "No Easy Day", also by Mark Owen, because "No Hero" was awesome! I am amazed by the courage and skill these men demonstrated and I'm fascinated by the way they had to conduct missions in the harsh environment of Afghanistan.

3. The Wire. It took a few episodes for me to get into this show, but once I did, I was hooked. It's a show about crime, drugs, and corruption set in West Baltimore. The first season is about drug dealers and the cops that try to bring them to justice, but the next few seasons expand into politics, the school system, and the foster care system and how they're linked to the drug world and the police force. It's one of those shows I love where you never know what's going to happen. Some episodes can get a little boring, but when they get it right, it's phenomenal TV. The last 3 episodes of Season Three were some of my favorites. There are five seasons total and I'm about to start the last season.
(Warning: it is an adult show, with violence, language, disturbing scenes, and some nudity).

4. Sperrys. Two years ago, I didn't own any Sperrys. Now I have 3 pairs and they are my go-to every day shoes. I love them because I can slip them on and they are so comfortable all day long! They're perfect for work because I'm on my feet so much. I wear them all year and they look good with everything. My favorites are the navy ones with the plaid side panels.

5. BLT. My brother got me started on bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches. I've never been a fan of them before, but he makes a bangin' BLT! I make them with avocado and bacon-flavored mayo, and I toast the bread so it's crispy, not soggy. It's the perfect meal for me since I'm only cooking for one person. I usually use half an avocado and half a tomato, then use the other halves the next night.

6. Podcasts. I have found a way to run on the treadmill without wanting to die - podcasts. I've never been one to listen to music while I run. When I'm outside, I don't run with anything. The treadmill can get a little boring, though, and music just doesn't cut it for me. Podcasts give me something to think about and it keeps my mind off the 'mill. I most recently listened to Serial, a 12 week series about a guy who may have been wrongly convicted of murder. The story is pieced together through interviews, dialogue, and audio recordings from the original trial. It's an interesting true story (and like The Wire, takes place in Baltimore. It was fun to hear both the show and the podcast reference some of the same places).

No comments:

Post a Comment