Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Big Sur Training: 18 miles

My marathon training got derailed after the Golden Gate Half Marathon! I was so sore afterwards that I didn't run for 6 days- almost a week missed of my training plan! I tried to run the day after the race, but I literally couldn't. I was hobbling in a way that didn't remotely resemble running. So I walked five miles instead, and even that made my legs feel like they were going to give out on me.

So I did the smart thing and took a week off. The next weekend was a cutback week anyway, so I did a 10 mile run on Saturday (as planned), but on Sunday I went on a hike with my friends instead of running. But it was a 17 mile hike so I figured it was even better than the 8 miles I had planned. Then I spent the next week trying to get back on track with my training plan.

Saturday was the big test since I had an 18 miler planned. I was still a little sore from my fall during the race and I didn't feel like I was nailing any of my runs. I was nervous and wondering how much I would struggle during this long run. Well, God answered my prayers and I had one of my best long runs to date! I started off slow, but felt stronger and better as I ran. I had a great time and started feeling like my marathon training is back on schedule!

My Splits:
1 9:50
2 9:30
3 9:17
4 9:11
5 9:07
6 9:05
7 9:04
8 9:01
9 9:19
10 9:33
11 9:31
12 9:32
13 9:24
14 9:46
15 9:23
16 9:10
17 9:12
18 8:23
19 8:28
Summary  2:48:12
I'm super proud of the fact that:

1. My first mile was the slowest. After I saw my time for the first mile, I made it a goal to try to keep every other mile under that time.

2. I had solid and consistent miles 5-8. I seemed to hit my groove and run a very consistent pace for awhile. Then I think I got tired (maybe due to the lack of solid training?).

3. I had a strong finish with miles 16-18. My last 3 miles were way faster than my first three miles!

4. That last mile in 8:23!!! What!? I never thought I would finish an 18 mile run in which I would run the last mile in 8:23! I think it was slightly downhill, but I'm still proud of that number!

No comments:

Post a Comment