Thursday, August 25, 2011

Drowning out the world

I've been running again! I've gotten up to 5 miles recently, although I usually only run 3-4 miles at a time. I've never run that far before, and it feels great! I want to stick with my exercise program once school starts because it's going to be an absolutely crazy semester- I have to take 21 credits this fall! (NOT by choice; it's how the PT program at VCU schedules the 2nd year classes). Oh, did I mention the fact that I'M A SECOND YEAR NOW!!! :)

Anyway, back to the running. I'm proud of myself for making it this far and I've discovered I can run much farther than I thought! (Of course, it took me a while to get here). I've recently been running without my MP3, and I've realized that I kind of like it. I know music helps a lot of people with motivation and boredom prevention, but it struck me how nice it was to just run without any distractions. Running is a great time for thinking. I think about God, and friends, and books, and making it the next mile. I get a chance to clear my head and start/end the day with a fresh mind. On a great day, when I'm "in the zone" I couldn't even tell you what I was thinking about during those 30-40 minute runs. It feels good to be alone with my thoughts for awhile.

So I wonder: How often do we distract ourselves from our own thoughts? How often do we try to drown out meaningful contemplations with loud music or TV? How often do we prefer the bustle of a busy life over the tranquility of a peaceful life? I'm not saying it's wrong to listen to a lot of music, or to be busy. Life does get chaotic sometimes. All the more reason to slow down, take a minute, and enjoy some real peace of mind. Sometimes life has a way of happening so quickly, and I need time to clear my head, sort things out, and think about what's important. Running is the perfect way for me to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment