Thursday, September 8, 2011

Long days

Thursdays are my long days this semester. I'm in class from 8am-5pm. The good part is I had two labs today that I really enjoyed. The first was my Lifespan lab. We got to observe babies today- a newborn (17 days old), a 2.5 month old, and a 5.5 month old. One of the babies was the child of my clinical instructor. It was great to see her and her baby again! My CI also brought her 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son with her. They were so adorable! I really love little kids.

Remember force vectors?

The other lab that turned out to be fun was my biomechanics lab. We had to do a worksheet with all kinds of physics problems. I forgot how much I love math! I know that sounds weird, but there's something particularly satisfying about working through math problems. I'm not especially good at math, but I just start with what I know and go step-by-step until I can solve for what I don't know. I like thinking logically and playing with numbers until I get the right solution. I like using trial-and-error until I find a way that works. One thing I really like is that there are multiple ways to get the right answer. It's not just memorization. It's using your brain to find the best solution. In other classes I tend to get bored after awhile, but I worked on problems for 2 hours in biomechanics lab, and the time seemed to fly by!

I'm glad I like these two classes, because I think Orthopedics will be the death of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment