Sunday, February 19, 2012

God is Good

I used to love the Little House on the Prairie books and I recently came across this excerpt:

"But, my goodness! How can anybody be good without thinking about it?" Laura demanded.
"I don't know, I guess we couldn't," Mary admitted. "I don't know how to say what I mean very well. But--it isn't so much thinking, as--as just knowing. Just being sure of the goodness of God."

Laura stood still, and so did Mary...There Mary stood in the miles of green and flowery grass rippling in the wind, under the great blue sky and white clouds sailing, and she could not see. Everyone knows that God is good. But it seemed to Laura then that Mary must be sure of it in some special way.

"You are sure, aren't you?" Laura said.

"Yes, I am sure of it now all the time," Mary answered. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters. I think that's the loveliest Psalm of all."

~Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder~
God is so good, and sometimes the people who seem to have the least seem to know that most of all. Although the books are classified as fiction, they are based on Laura Ingalls' real life. She really did grow up on the prairie. She really did have an older sister Mary who became blind at a young age. If this was her true attitude, I think it's incredible! I want to be sure of God's goodness all the time like she was.

1 comment:

  1. I think I see this all the time at my church - those who have the least are able to see God's glory and beauty in so much more than those who have more than they need.

    ReplyDelete