Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hot July

This July came blazing in with temps that reached 105 degrees in Richmond! Up until the past couple of weeks it hasn't been that hot in Richmond this summer. But the last few weeks more than made up for it- the heat and humidity have been awful! To make matters worse, a series of tornadoes came through the Richmond area last week, causing many houses to lose power. Some people have been without AC for a week in this heat! Thankfully, my apartment never lost power. I guess there are advantages to living in a huge brick building without any trees nearby.

My first experience with the tornadoes happened when I was at clinic. Our clinic has big glass windows all along one wall of the gym where we can see the parking lot. That day it went from being nice and sunny to the sky darkening, trees blowing, and wind howling within minutes. The next thing I knew there was a deafening torrential downpour and trees were flopping around like rag dolls. The rain was literally going sideways! It was scary, but also kind of cool to see such a powerful storm!

The storm got so bad that they issued tornado warnings. We had to take all the patients to central rooms, away from windows. I was in the middle of an eval, and I had to take my patient to a different treatment room. Soon we had other patients from the waiting room joining us to get to somewhere safe. It was quite an exciting day at the clinic!

The tornadoes are over now (I think), but it's still brutally hot. It's been over 100 degrees for the past few days. Luckily I'm going to Maine tomorrow for the remainder of the summer, so I get to escape the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment