Sunday, August 25, 2013

Work Life

This month I've gone from being stressed out and overwhelmed by my job... to actually enjoying it! There are still stressful moments, but overall, I like what I do and I feel more confident about it. This is a welcome relief after feeling completely inadequate for the first two months!

Another cool thing that happened this week: I recognized the signs and symptoms of a DVT, put a hold on PT, and asked the nurse to order a Doppler. Turns out the patient did have a DVT. The doctor ordered bedrest for 2 days and started her on anticoagulants. A DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is dangerous because it's a blood clot that can break free and travel to the lungs, resulting in a pulmonary embolus, which is a life-threatening condition. I'm glad I was able to do my job and recognize the warning signs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment