Sunday, January 11, 2015

2015 Resolutions

I didn't think I was going to make New Year's Resolutions this year, but the more I thought about it, there are a lot of things I want to accomplish this year. I actually really like goal setting because I'm very goal oriented. But for me, it has to be something I can check off and be done with it. In the past, I've made certain goals like "drink more water" or "go to the gym 3x/week" or "read my Bible every day" and I always fail at those goals. So this year I'm trying to set specific goals with a deadline so that when I complete them, they're done! I'm excited to see how many I can accomplish this year!
Running

1. Run a race every month or 12 races total (I wanted to say 12 half marathons, but that might be too much for my body to handle. Hopefully quite a few will be half marathons though!)

2. Run a sub-2 hour marathon. This has been a goal for awhile. I've broken the 2 hour mark once, but haven't been able to beat that time since. I'd really like to do it again. I'm hoping to incorporate some speed work into my training this year.

3. Run 60 miles a month. I want to run more times per week, and run more consistently, but I didn't know how to make that a goal. Then I read a running article that suggested choosing a weekly or monthly mileage goal. I like that idea. I picked the monthly goal so that I can rest some weeks if I need to.

Strength/Gym

4. Do 5 pull-ups. One of my goals at the end of last summer was to be able to do a pull-up (after failing to do one on a ropes course). I bought a pull-up bar and after months of practice I can do about 3, but I can't seem to get past that. I'd like to be able to do at least 5 if not more.

5. Bench 75 lbs.
6. Squat 75 lbs.
7. Deadlift 150 lbs. This is the year I want to get in the gym and finally start working on upper body strength. Instead of having a goal of going to the gym 3x/week, I thought it would help to have specific weight goals. I tried to set very reasonable goals, but I have no idea how realistic these are since my upper body strength is practically non-existent.

Personal

8. Read a book a month or 12 books total. I enjoyed it when I made this a goal in 2012, so I'm doing it again!

There are so many more things: go on an epic hike, learn how to take better pictures, learn how to do better make-up and hair, eat healthier, get more sleep, go on more fun trips. I couldn't come up with specific things for these goals, so I'm leaving them on the back burner for now. If I accomplish any of these, I'll consider it a bonus.

Lastly, this isn't really a goal, but I'd like to spend less time on my computer/phone/internet. I LOVE information and can literally spend hours looking stuff up, but I waste way. too. much. time. I really want to limit my computer time in the coming year, so that I can be more active and do more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment