Thursday, October 8, 2015

Utah National Parks: Zion

I was going to do a post about all the National Parks I visited in Utah on my way back, but didn't get around to it for a long time, so my memories aren't as fresh and this won't be as detailed as it could have been. Still, I want to remember what I liked about each park.

Zion National Park - This was probably my favorite of the four! The landscape is breathtaking and there are tons of good hikes. When you get into the park, you have to take a shuttle everywhere. It's actually really convenient because the shuttles run every 5-10 minutes, you can start and end a hike at different points, and you don't have to worry about parking (other than getting there early initially to find parking at the visitor's center).

I went hiking through a canyon and loved it! It was so cool to look up and see the huge rock formations on either side, and it was a new experience to wade through thigh-deep water in many places. I recommend a walking stick - other people leave theirs behind at the entrance to the Narrows and you can pick one up. It definitely helps you gain more stable footing when you can't see the bottom of the river.


The little town right outside the park is so cute and there are lots of places to eat and stay. I stayed at a campground right outside the park that had a few more amenities than campgrounds inside the park. The next day I did a shorter hike, but I would love to come back and hike Angels Landing. I also really want to do a canyoneering tour. I heard the Subway is a good beginner canyon to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment