Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Melting Pot

This post is going to be a random mix of everything that happened this weekend.

First, Leslie's birthday was celebrated with a trip to The Melting Pot, a fancy fondue restaurant. It's expensive, but they have a special deal at the bar where you can get unlimited cheese and chocolate fondue for $20 a person. That's what we did, and it was delicious! With the cheese fondue, you get bread, nachos, veggies, and apples to dip. We tried the Fiesta, Wisconsin Trio, and Spinach Artichoke cheese fondues. Of the three, the spinach artichoke was my favorite! For dessert, you get rice krispies, pound cake, brownies, fruit, and cheesecake to dip in the chocolate fondue. We tried the Yin & Yang, bananas foster, and turtle fondues. All of them were really good. I don't know if I've ever left a restaurant feeling that full!

Emily had to watch a video for her education class this weekend, so Leslie and I went to see it with her. It was called "Waiting for Superman". It was a documentary that described the education system in the US. I didn't really know much about how the school systems worked, since I went to a private school in middle school and was homeschooled throughout high school. For people who can't afford private schools and have to rely on public schools, the situation becomes difficult. Everyone wants to get into the best public schools, but there are many more applicants than spaces available. So the schools have to hold a lottery where the spaces are filled randomly. The kids who don't get in are denied a better education... and this all depends solely on luck! Another big problem that the movie focused on was that bad teachers can't be fired when they have tenure (which is automatically granted after two years of teaching). It's really sad to me that teacher's unions are more focused on teachers keeping their jobs than on the education of children.

We also went to Scream Forest this weekend in anticipation of Halloween. I thought it was pretty scary, but I get scared easily. I didn't like it as much as Scaremare (in Lynchburg) due to the fact that they only let smaller groups go through the woods at a time and they let people TOUCH you. I didn't like that because I just felt very vulnerable and unprotected. It also didn't help that Tristan and Kyle talked about serial killers right before we went through the woods.

Sadly, sometime Saturday night I lost my cell phone. I think I lost it at Scream Forest, but I'm not sure. However, I talked to my mom and I'm due for a free upgrade anyway, so I'm going to go ahead and get a new phone. And I really did need a new phone because mine started randomly turning off sometimes, even when the battery was fully charged. So yay! I get to pick out a new phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment