Friday, March 9, 2012

The Hardest Step

"The hardest step for a runner is the first one out of the front door." Still true. Probably always will be. I thought that once I'd been running for awhile, it would get easier to motivate myself. Not true. I still find it hard to get out and start running!

Last Saturday I was supposed to do 8 miles, but I woke up with a headache, so I put it off until later. Then I had so much to do around the house. I did some spring cleaning. I did laundry. I browsed the internet. Finally it got to the point where it was 4pm, and if I was going to get my run in, I had to leave! I only did 6 miles instead of 8 because in addition to the headache, I had developed a terrible knot in my back (it actually got better while I was running!). It wasn't my greatest run, but at least I got out there and did it, even if I got a super-late start.

This weekend I scheduled myself to do 10 miles. I really needed to run a long distance because it's the last weekend for a long run before I start my taper for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler. I knew I had to get my run in on Friday, because Saturday is Alicia's wedding and I'm leaving for Cancun on Sunday. But when I woke up, I was lazy. I didn't feel like running right away, so I did other things on my to-do list. I did some laundry, I cleaned, and I took my online Pharmacology exam. Before I knew it, it was late afternoon, and I still hadn't run! I considered putting it off till the next day and running the morning before the wedding, but I just didn't know when else I'd be able to find the time for it. Plus, I looked out the window and it was a GORGEOUS day- and I'd spent all of it inside! I decided to go for it, even though it was past 5pm, which meant I'd be running the last few miles in the dark.

OMG! It was so worth it. I had an awesome run. I felt great the whole time. The weather was beautiful, even when it started to get dark. All of the stressfulness of these last few weeks before Spring break started to melt away. I felt fast. I felt like a runner. I can't even tell you what I was thinking about for most of the miles, because I was "zoning" (my made-up term for being in the zone so much that everything is thoughtless and natural). My face got salty with sweat and still my legs didn't feel tired. I kept waiting for the wall, and it never came. It was the best 10 miles of my life (okay, I've only run that distance twice).

I'm so glad I ran! But man, was it hard to get started. I probably took thousands of steps on my run today, but I can say without a doubt that the hardest one was the first one out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment