Saturday, March 3, 2012

A day of rest

Both of my roommates are gone this weekend, so I have the apartment to myself. It's been just what I needed today! Lately I've had so much going on that I feel like I haven't had two minutes in a row to myself. Today I got to rest and by "rest" I mean that I had loads of time to do what I needed to get done.

First of all, I got to sleep in. I don't know why, but I've been so tired lately, all the time. It was good to finally get enough sleep. I was going to go for a run in the morning, but I decided to postpone it so I could get some cleaning done. My apartment has been a mess lately and it's been driving me CRAZY. Today was the perfect day to do some major spring cleaning. I cranked up the music on Pandora and got to work. I started with vacuuming and mopping the floors, which took the longest. I'm talking move the furniture, get every inch of dirt off the floor, get in every crevice and crack vacuuming. And when I say mopping, I mean that I was on my hands and knees with a sponge and a bottle of 409. As much as I love my Swiffer, sometimes it doesn't do the job well enough. We had several hard-to-remove spots on the floor that took a lot of scrubbing to get clean.

Next I tackled the fridge and counters. The fridge definitely needed a good cleaning. I took all the food out, cleaned the shelves, then removed the drawers at the bottom and cleaned those out. I loaded the dishwasher and wiped down all the counters. I dusted the baseboards. I took out the trash and recycling. I even cleaned the trash cans because they were looking pretty gross.

Next was the living room, which was the easiest room. I put away anything that was left out on the coffee table, then I gathered all the blankets that were strewn about and folded them. I reorganized my room and vacuumed in there as well. I did a load of laundry while I was cleaning, too. Lastly, I got started on the bathroom. I cleaned the toilet, the sink, and the bathroom counters, but I decided to leave the bathroom floor and tub for another day.

I had plenty of time later in the afternoon to get my run in. The weather cooperated and it was really nice out during my run. When I got back, I took a nice long shower and made dinner. Then I packed for Spring Break! I love packing. My suitcase is all ready to go, except for a few last-minute things.

This evening I got to just relax. I made a huge mug of hot cocoa and got caught up on my Bible study. I watched a little tv. I read my book. I had time to blog, yay! I realize cleaning and doing stuff around the house might not seem like a very fun day, but it was just what I needed today. I feel like I accomplished a lot. It was so peaceful and relaxing not to be on a schedule. I didn't have anywhere to be at a specific time or anything pressing due; instead, I got stuff done at my own pace. It was wonderful!
Bible and hot chocolate- a great end to my day!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great! I am planning on having my own Spring cleaning day soon ;)

    ReplyDelete