Monday, June 21, 2010

One of 55

Today was my first day of orientation for physical therapy school. It was quite intimidating to look out over the class and know that you're just one out of 55. And the other 54 people are going to be the people you'll spend the next 3 years with. The problem is, you don't really know anyone yet. You don't know with whom you'll eat lunch or study or become friends. You also don't know your way around the campus yet and you don't know the names of any of the dozens of buildings surrounding you on all sides.

To make matters worse, the professors go over all the policies and academic standards on the first day, which is a little nerve-wracking. VCU's physical therapy program has very little leeway for students who get bad grades or fail a course. Basically, you can't drop below a 3.0 GPA and if you fail a class, you're dismissed from the program. I've been in a lot of classes where the teachers try to scare you on the first day (they'd call it "encouraging you to study"), but this is more serious than any other course I've attempted. I know I'll have to stay on top of things and stay very motivated to do well.

I did get a lot done today. I got my VCU ID card and a bus pass and turned in all my immunization forms (I actually had to get a Hep B vaccine today too). Still, it was the first day, and there's always that awkward "I don't know what I'm doing yet" feeling. You know, come to think of it, the first day of grad school is like the first day of any school. It sucks, but you can see the potential for it becoming something you might actually like one day. I'm sure after a while the classes and buildings that are so confusing to me now will become familiar and memorable to me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment