Monday, August 16, 2010

Every now and then

My summer of anatomy is finally over, and not a moment too soon. With the mold and the smell getting worse every day, I was counting down the days until I was done with the cadaver lab. The last section of material was on the heart and abdomen, which are areas that physical therapists aren’t generally concerned about, so that didn’t help with my dwindling motivation. Still, I enjoyed getting to see some of the internal organs finally and I managed to motivate myself with the thought of my upcoming two week vacation from school!

The same day I took my anatomy final, I took a plane to Portland, Maine and got to spend the next two days cramming in all the fun I missed while I was in school. I got to ride the jet-ski, go tubing, and swim in the lake. I also got to go sailing in our little Sunfish. The weather was perfect for sailing on both afternoons, so I took the boat out each day. There’s nothing like the feeling of flying along the water with the wind in your face and waves crashing over the side of the boat! When my mom and I went sailing on our last day in Maine, it was so windy that we were both hiked out over the side of the boat, trying to compensate for the fact that the wind had our boat at almost a 90 degree angle. It was awesome!

My time in Maine was all too short though, and on Saturday we had to pack up and clean the house for the renters. We came back to Massachusetts and I came home to a new house. My parents finally sold their house in Holden, Mass and moved to a smaller place in Gardner, Mass that’s closer to where my dad works. He’s had a 45 minute commute for the past 20 years and now he’s only 5 minutes away from the hospital.

I really like the new place, but it’s a little sad to leave the house that was our home for 18 years. At least I didn’t have to be a part of the moving process since I was still in class when my family moved out. I’ve had enough of moving and I’m sick of it! I’ve been helping my mom put stuff away and get organized though and I sort of love that part of moving. You get to start fresh and arrange things exactly the way you want them. I’ve also been having a lot of fun going through the boxes in the basement. One of the photos I found was an old picture of me and Leslie and our next-door neighbors Danny and Ashley sitting on a rock in my backyard. Both of our parents love that picture so much that last year they got us to pose on the rock for one more shot.
Then...
...and now

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, the pictures are so cute! I'm glad you got to go to Maine even if it was only for a short while. And you're done with the dreaded Anatomy class! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete