Saturday, August 7, 2010

What I know for sure: It’s never popular to be pure

Purity seems to be an especially rare and precious commodity these days, even more so than I thought while I was still in the “Liberty bubble” (and though I may have been pretty naïve, I didn’t exactly think the secular world had a lot of morals). I knew that drinking, drugs, and promiscuity were/are heavily prevalent in the college scene; I just didn’t know how pervasive their influence was and how far it extended. For instance, I always thought that a LOT of college kids liked to party, get drunk, sleep around, and experiment with drugs, but I also thought that there were some who didn’t participate in any of the above. I thought that some people avoided all that stuff in college and focused on their schoolwork (you know- the “smart kids”).

Now, after having talked to numerous other grad students from a variety of schools across the East Coast, I find that MOST college students take part in the college party scene- even the ones who are smart and get good grades. Drinking, partying, and sex are so entrenched in secular culture now that it’s become the normal thing to do- and everyone participates. The only real difference between students who do well in school and those who fail all their classes is that the smart kids manage their time well enough to both party and study (or they at least have the discipline to wake up hung-over and still make it to class). People just don’t seem to have morals anymore. Drugs and sex are “no big deal”

What’s more, people don’t care about their lack of morals. They’ll tell stories about getting drunk and puking all over the place, about trying drugs, about making out with a complete stranger. I know these things happen, but I never thought people would broadcast them to the world unashamedly. It’s just completely normal to them. In fact, they can’t comprehend the concept that there are some people who don’t live like that. I remember one night I was having a drink with some PT friends, and they started talking about their worst drunken moments. One of the guys turned to me and said “You must have some great stories.” I replied honestly, “not really.” His response? “Bullshit.”

Well, he may not believe me, but I’m glad it’s the truth. I’m so thankful I went to a school where I could learn and grow without the constant pressure to be a part of the secular culture. I’m proud of the fact that I’ve never tried drugs, didn’t drink till I was 21, and am going to save sex for marriage. When you give into this hedonistic culture and throw away your decency and modesty for a chance to fit in and be accepted by the world, you’re losing an important part of yourself that you can never get back. Purity, once lost, can’t be regained.

Read this article to get a better idea of the college atmosphere- and the dangers associated with it: Binge Drinking Entrenched in College Culture - ABC News

2 comments:

  1. I really think that this reckless behavior is also becoming more prevalent among Christians too...whaddya think?

    Interesting article...I thought the most insightful point was that American college students have a status somewhere in between kids and adults. Post-adolescence. Drives me nuts. This mentality continues into late twenties and early thirties now. Why can't people just grow up?

    Keep the faith and carpe diem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do think it's very prevalent among Christians too- not necessarily by conscious choice, but by slowly giving in to peer pressure- it's hard to resist such a persistent and dominating culture. It's also disheartening to think that everyone else is living like that; you start to think that it's impossible to be pure, and then you want to just give up.

    I hate how college has become this time in-between childhood and adulthood. Kids who graduate from high school don't know what they want to do... so they go to college to party. Universities used to be for an elite group of intellectuals who wanted to further their education. Now a college degree has become almost meaningless, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete