Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Looking back

Everything seems easier in retrospect. When I think of college, I remember it being a lot easier than I know it was at the time. I look back at my childhood days, and I think of them as the best days of my life. But I know bad stuff happened, and when you're a kid, you feel like the world is coming to an end every time something bad happens. So my memories aren't reliable. I know there have been plenty of bad moments in my life, but when I look back at different time periods, I tend to remember the good stuff. It suddenly struck me that, despite grad school being tough and tiring right now, one day I might remember it fondly as the "good ole' days". I realized that I should probably try to enjoy grad school now and appreciate what I have while I have it, instead of years down the road.

I wrote a poem about the unreliability of memories and how things change from a different perspective. Don't laugh.

Reflections on the Past
Some days, in quiet reflections, I
Look back on days long past and wonder
If I was really happier then
Or did I change things in my mind’s eye
Making sunshine from days of thunder?

Because in my memories I see
Bliss and happiness and carefree days
I don’t remember tribulations
Although I’m sure in reality
They were filled with them in many ways

If I ponder long and hard, I can
Remember both the bad and the good
And I realize that life was never
Perfect, but a transient mental scan
Paints a flawless picture of girlhood

I wish I could go back and enjoy
Time with no expectations, issue,
Or worry; the past is alluring-
It’s safe, there’s nothing hidden or coy
About it; yet once, before we knew
What would come, the past was the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment