Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exercise

It's hard to get back in school mode after being away on break for the past month. As much as I enjoy learning, I don't relish the thought of sitting in a classroom all day. Especially since we're in the basement of the hospital and there are no windows. It feels like a cave sometimes.

This semester I'm taking an exercise physiology class. So far we've just gone over some statistics about the health of the US population and the benefits of exercise. It's nothing I haven't heard before, but an entire hour of listening to the professor talk about about the increasing number of sedentary and obese Americans was kind of sickening. It's really depressing and sad that so many people just throw their health out the window and go for the TV and fast food. It's also convicting and scary, because I like junk food as much as anyone and I don't make it to the gym every day (and often not even the recommended 3 times a week).

This year I'm trying to establish a workout routine that I can maintain for the entire semester, even when schoolwork gets intense. I'm going to work out at the gym Tuesday and Thursday mornings- with friends, so they keep me accountable. Then I'm going to go to some exercise classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoon. I already tried a class called "Boot Camp" on Friday, and it was really, really hard. It combined cardio, high intensity training, resistance training, and abs. After about the first 15 minutes of class I was tired, and by the end of class I felt like I was going to pass out. Not a good thing, but it made me realize how out of shape I am. It may sound weird, but I kind of liked a class that challenged me that much. I'm excited to go back and get kicked into shape!

2 comments:

  1. I'm hopefully getting a gym membership this week... A friend & I are going to go. I like running, but it isn't practical with DJ... treadmills/gyms will be much nicer. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up to do a triathlon at the gym. I have to complete a certain number of miles running, biking, and swimming each week for 9 weeks. Everyone who completes the required miles gets a t-shirt! I'm hoping this challenge will give me extra motivation to work out.

    ReplyDelete