Monday, January 31, 2011

My alma mater

I went to Lynchburg this weekend to visit my brother Kyle and some of my Liberty friends, including De (who just got engaged over break!). Leslie also drove down from Pennsylvania, and we had a nice weekend visiting old friends. We went to a game night at Doug's house, saw a movie, went to Amazement Square, and tried out a new cupcake place that just opened downtown.

It's kind of weird to go back to Liberty though. At one point I felt that I knew the campus like the back of my hand, but every time I go back something's changed. And it's just a weird feeling to go back as an outsider- to look around and not see any familiar faces. There used to be lots of people I knew on campus, and even more people that I at least recognized. But now most of my friends have graduated and gone on to pursue other things. The school I knew isn't the same any more.

It's kind of interesting how that happens in life. You move on, and you might miss something, but when you try to go back to it, it's changed too. You realize you can't go back to a particular moment, or time period, or even a place and have it remain exactly the same while you've been gone. It kind of forces you to keep moving forward, because you can't recapture the past. You can't even stay stuck in the present as long as people around you are changing. So we're constantly moving, and changing, and growing, and learning. Once you've moved out of one phase of life, you can't go back- you've outgrown it anyway. The only wise choice is to keep going, and dreaming, and striving. Not longing for the past, but hoping for the future. Full steam ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment