Thursday, February 3, 2011

Being anonymous

I've found that this semester it's been beneficial for the professors NOT to know my name. The prof for my Measurement and Assessment class calls on people all the time out of the blue, but he tends to only call on students whose names he remembers. Luckily, "Kim" seems to be easy to forget, and since there's another Kim in my class, I figure the chances of me being called on are even further diminished. In my exercise physiology class, the prof (Dr. Ross) likes to pick on people when they answer a question, so I tend to keep quiet in that class too. I usually like to answer a question if I know the answer, but I've decided that it's safer in these classes not to say anything.

Dr. Ross is the youngest professor at VCU and he likes to go off on tangents and tell us random stories. Case in point: He was telling us about how he read the book "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" to his kids. The name of the town was called "Chewandswallow". He pronounced it Che-wands-a-wallow, but the correct pronunciation is Chew-and-swallow. Haha. He told us that even someone with a professional career and a PhD can be an idiot sometimes. That's good, because I'm an idiot a LOT of the time. Sometimes it amazes me that I do so well in school, because I have such little common sense in real life!

School has been pretty boring so far this semester. I thought we'd be getting into some more applicable stuff, but we're reviewing a lot of material from last semester. I think the good stuff is coming! It's just taking longer than I thought to review some pretty basic material. I'm sure in a couple weeks I'll be overwhelmed and wonder why I wanted to jump into the difficult stuff so fast. I just want to get to more interesting topics though. There's so much I still have to learn before I'll feel like I have any clue what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment