Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An unexpectedly good weekend

I got back to Richmond on Friday night because I wanted to have time to get ready for the start of the semester. Classes started on Tuesday because of MLK day, so I figured I'd have 3 full days to unpack, run errands, and settle in before school started.

Well, on Saturday I unpacked, rearranged my room, went to the bank and the grocery store, and cleaned my apartment. Then I settled in to watch some tv. But by the end of the evening I was already getting a little bored. Somehow I WAY overestimated how much time I needed to get ready for school.

Luckily, Tristan was in the same boat and decided to come visit me this weekend! We had a great time watching the football game, playing her Glee board game, and looking at the most random stuff online. We went to David's Bridal on Sunday to look at bridesmaids dresses since we're both going to be the maid of honor in our friends' weddings. That night we went to see the movie "Country Strong", which was a lot better than I expected! It has a love story going on, but it's also about how fame can destroy you when you choose it above everything else. Which is sad, but true.

Tristan and I also went to a church on Sunday that I've been wanting to go to for awhile. It's called Grace Community Baptist Church and it's in the West End of Richmond. I really enjoyed the music and the sermon. The pastor gave such a good message that was so applicable (which is the thing I look for most in a church). He talked about extravagant love. He used the passage about Mary pouring expensive perfume on Jesus's feet. Some of the disciples thought it was a waste, but Jesus commended Mary. The pastor challenged us to show extravagant love like that; to go above and beyond what is expected or reasonable. I definitely want to go back next week and see what else the pastor has to say!

As for school, I'm two days in now, and a little apprehensive about what this semester has in store for me. But I'm excited to only have four classes this time instead of six, and the professors all seem nice so far. Right now, I'm hoping that this semester will be easier than the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment