Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sick as a dog

I was really sick last week. I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea and stomach pain, and spent the rest of the night vomiting and feeling really horrible. I threw up six times in six hours (it was like every hour from 3:30 to 9:30am- that was probably too much detail- sorry!). Needless to say, I did not go to class the next day (or the day after that). After missing those two days of class last week, I had to do some catching up this week. I borrowed notes from several people to fill in what I had missed. And I discovered something- I really, really prefer to take my own notes. I think this is one of the reasons I hardly ever missed a class all throughout college. I love taking my own notes and making sure that I get down all the important information.

Now I'm not saying that all my classmates don't take good notes, but I have noticed some extremes in my peers. Either they don't really take notes at all, preferring just to sit back and listen; or they frantically scribble continuously, trying to capture every word the professor has said during class. I think I've come up with a good balance of writing down what I think is important and leaving out stuff that doesn't matter. It's worked pretty well for me so far. I don't have to study everything to get good grades. I study the important things and I don't try to memorize every little detail. It's a lot less stressful that way, trust me!

Something else that I learned after I've been sick- old habits die hard. When I was lying in bed, sick as a dog, the thought of food was literally disgusting to me. Fatty or greasy foods were especially unappealing. I thought at that point that I could possibly go the rest of my life without eating another cupcake or greasy cheeseburger. I thought that even when I felt better it would take awhile for me to think those foods seemed tasty. Well, it's only been one week since I've been sick and today I stopped at McDonald's for dinner and got a cheeseburger and fries. When you don't have stomach problems, all that greasy food just tastes so good! In all honesty though, being that sick did make me want to eat healthier foods, so I'm going to try to limit the sweets and fats.

No comments:

Post a Comment