Sunday, October 16, 2011

Eight miles before church

If there’s one thing I’ve realized while training for this half marathon, it’s this: The biggest challenge isn’t the distance, the hills, the blisters, or the fatigue while running. The biggest challenge is getting out there to start running.

Once I’ve got my sneakers laced, my running clothes on and I’m out the door, the battle is half-won. It’s getting up in the morning and dragging myself out of bed when I’m tired that’s the hard part. Once I start, it’s really not that bad. It’s finding the motivation to start that’s difficult.

I just keep asking myself, “Who do I want to be?” It doesn’t have to be the person I’ve been. I don’t have to be the person who would give up, roll over, and go back to sleep. I can be the person who meets each day as a new challenge. I can be the person who’s excited to go for a run and the one who makes time for exercise even when life gets busy. That’s the person I want to be, so what’s stopping me? I can start being that person now.

I went for an 8 mile run before church today and it felt great! Although at 7:30 when my alarm went off I reeeallly didn't want to get up. But I did, and that's the important part. It was the first time I'd ever run that far. It took me an hour and 20 minutes. I'm getting more and more excited for the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment