Monday, February 18, 2013

Back to running

I took some time off from running over winter break. I don't regret it, because I think every once in a while I need a break so that I remember why I love it. It also prevents me from becoming bored with running, or feeling like I have to run all the time. And, let's face it, I hate running in the cold.

The one problem with taking an extended break is that I lost a lot of my running fitness. I've been slowly trying to rebuild my mileage this past month. It's been frustrating. I consider 6 miles a base amount for me- I can run 6 in under an hour usually, and it doesn't take too much time or effort. It's not a long run, and it's not short enough that I feel I need to push my pace. However, after a couple months of not running, I was sore after 6 miles the first few times I ran it this year. And to think I ran a marathon in November!

In the future, I want to stay in shape during the winter by trying new fitness classes or workout DVD's, and probably run at least 1-2 times per week on the treadmill. I like taking a little break from running, and I like the idea that I could use the time to try something new (next year!) but hopefully I've learned my lesson and I'll at least run some so I don't have to start from scratch in the Spring!

Anyway, the good news is I finally got past that 6 mile hump and ran my longest run this year - 8 miles. I brought my running clothes to work and hit the pavement immediately after work. I was determined to get this run in! Thankfully the weather was slightly warmer today than it has been. Even though it started getting cold and dark by the time I finished, those 8 miles were glorious.

I still love to run.

It's still hard to motivate myself, but I can make the time. It's still hard to push myself, but I can be strong. I love running and I hate it. I feel frustrated and euphoric. I have miserable runs, mundane runs, amazing runs, and everything in between. Running is one crazy adventure, and that's what I like about it most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment