Saturday, February 16, 2013

There's gotta be more

Lately I've been feeling kind of bored with life and my routine. It's not that I don't have a lot going on, because I do (sometimes I feel overwhelmed!), but I'm having trouble finding joy in the things I'm doing. I'm feeling a sense of purposelessness and monotony.

Whenever this happens, I know I need to turn to God and get a reality-check on my life. Am I doing things to serve God? Am I doing things to show God's love to other people? Am I striving to know God better and seeking a relationship with him?

Inevitably when I feel disillusioned and discouraged with life, the answer to all of these questions is a resounding no. Unfortunately, when I'm feeling this way I also have little motivation to read my Bible or pray because I feel like it takes more energy than I have right now.

I'm reminded of this song I heard a long time ago:
I've got it all, but I feel so deprived
I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside
Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing
And why can't I let it go

***CHORUS***
There's gotta be more to life
Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
'Cause the more that I'm
Trippin' up thinking there must be more to life
Well, it's life, but I'm sure... there's gotta be more

I've got the time and I'm wasting it slowly
Here in this moment, I'm halfway out the door
On to the next thing, I'm searching for something that's missing

***CHORUS***

More, I'm wanting Mooooore
I'm always waiting on something other than this
Why am I feeling like there's something I missed?

I don't want to always be searching for something else, getting bored easily, moving from one thing on to the next to keep myself entertained. It's so easy to fill life with pleasant distractions. But... because God has a hold on my heart, I start to feel deeply dissatisfied when I try to do that. I know there's a greater purpose in life, and when I try to ignore that and just live for myself, I'm not happy! I'm still figuring out God's plan for my life, but one thing I know for sure: It's not about being selfish. I need to stop filling my life with meaningless things that ultimately make me discontent. We are made for so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment