Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The meal wheel

This week started out a little rough, but it's gotten much better. Since I put off a lot of my schoolwork until Sunday, I stayed up late on Sunday night to get it all done; consequently, I was pretty tired on Monday. I had my last lab practical for A&P on Monday morning, had to complete some lab work for an animal behavior class Monday afternoon, and did my end-of-the-semester original lab experiment for another bio class at the end of the day. On Tuesday I was very productive and got caught up with all my other homework!

By today, I was ready for some friend time again. I went over to my friend's dorm and ended up inviting her and 2 other girls over to my house for dinner. Tonight I made pork chops. I basically rotate between 5 meals at my house. There's shake & bake pork chops, cheeseburgers, parmesan chicken, hamburger helper, and CBCB (chicken broccoli cheese braid- a family recipe). Occasionally we'll switch it up and have tacos or soup or something like that.

Before I had to cook for myself, I never realized how difficult it is to come up with different meals. I'm a relatively picky eater, which makes it even harder. I remember times where I'd complain about what was for dinner ("we're having this againnnn?") Never again will I complain about someone else cooking the meal! It's more work than it seems. Not just the cooking part, which may not take that long, but the planning, the shopping, making sure you have all the ingredients, and having dinner ready at the right time. I try to go for meals that are quick and easy that don't require too many ingredients.

Anyways, everyone seemed to like the pork chops. Since all 3 girls live in the dorms, they don't get home-cooked meals at all, so even something quick and easy like shake & bake is probably better than the cafeteria food. I hope all my dinner guests in the future are as appreciative of my limited cooking skills!

1 comment: