Monday, April 26, 2010

The work is never done

Oh, the joys of living in your own apartment- it's wonderful to be able to come home after class instead of going to a dorm room and it's so nice to have the ability to cook in an actual kitchen. However, living in my own house also means that there are a lot of chores that need to be done and bills that need to be paid. It's a big responsibility.

I never thought of myself as a particularly neat person before I started college. I mean, I liked to have my things organized, but my room got pretty messy every once in awhile, and I didn't exactly do a lot of cleaning in my spare time. Living in a dorm changed me. I couldn't believe how messy and disorganized some people were. Leaving clothes on the floor is one thing, but leaving food out and leaving hair all over the sink? That's disgusting.

So I changed my habits. Not only did I start to compulsively put my stuff away (nothing is safe if left out!), I also had to keep my area of the room neat in order to be able to sit down and get homework done. Dorm rooms are very space-efficient. If my desk was messy, there was literally no other surface on which to write. I had to be clean... and I actually enjoyed having everything nice and orderly.

Now, in my own house, I've continued my cleaner ways. There's a lot more to do here though. Cleaning toilets, showers, sinks, kitchen counters, vacuuming, dusting, even periodically cleaning out the fridge and the grill. It seems like the work is never done, but you know what? My house looks attractive and inviting. A clean house is worth the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment