Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cold days and hot showers

Today I forgot to set my alarm clock! I guess the stress of school is really getting to me- this was the first time the entire semester that I forgot to set my alarm. Thankfully, one of my roommates woke me up, so I wasn't late for class, but I did have to skip my morning shower (luckily I still had time for my morning coffee, or it really would have been a bad day!). I hate it when I don't get a shower because I feel grody and unkempt for the entire day. It's truly amazing what a shower can do for you- how refreshed and clean and good you feel after stepping out of that hot water.

Anyway, I started thinking about how I take stuff for granted all the time. Because a shower really is one of the most amazing inventions ever. I mean, you have a waterfall inside your house! And you can turn it on and off at will, and adjust the temperature to your satisfaction. Really, it's pretty awesome that I can get hot water with just the turn of a knob- without lugging buckets of water around all morning. And the thing is, it makes my day to be able to take a hot shower. When I feel grumpy or gross, all it takes is 10 minutes under the water and some moisturizing conditioner, and I feel like a new person.

In this day and age, where there are scientific marvels and new toys and gadgets being invented all the time, I think it's actually the simple everyday conveniences that I forget to be thankful for the most. I think the Playstation Move, Kinect, Ipad, and Kindle are amazing gadgets, but I could live without them. Take away my microwave, washer and dryer, or hot shower, and I don't know what I would do!

No comments:

Post a Comment