Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What I love about my mom

This past Sunday was Mother's Day, and sadly, I did not get to spend it with my mom. For the past several years, Mother's Day has fallen right in the middle of all my finals. This year, I missed my mom more than I usually do. I think I realized how little I've seen her since I started grad school (and how I've called her less and less as I've gotten older). Even though I've become more independent, I still love my mom as much as ever. In honor of Mother's day, here's a short summary of what I love about my mom.

I love that my mom was always there for me. She stayed home with me and never put me in day care. I only remember a few times that I even had a babysitter. My mom was always there for every step of me growing up. I love that she was involved in all my school events. She was the class mom- baking cookies and helping out with activities. She was a chaperone on every field trip- and all my friends wanted to be in her group. She was a troop leader for girl scouts and a Sunday school teacher at church. I think the number one thing I appreciate about my mom is simply that she was constantly around. I could always count on her.

I love that my mom enrolled me in a lot of activities- even ones I didn't like. I took swimming lessons, horseback riding lessons, piano lessons, and gymnastics. I tried ice skating, ballet, hockey, and soccer. Some things I hated (ballet, piano, soccer), but I learned how to stick it out and be a good sport. Some things I thought I would hate (hockey, swim team) but it ended up being a lot of fun and a good experience. I'm so glad I learned how to do so much when I was little. It ignited an adventurous spirit within me.

I love that my mom is honest with me. I can trust her to say what she really thinks, even if I don't want to hear it. She'll tell me if she doesn't like my outfit or hairstyle. She tells me when I'm being bossy or a know-it-all. And I want to know when I'm being annoying, because then I can change. My mom doesn't keep opinions about Christianity, politics, or social issues to herself either. She always seems to have a clear stance on what's right and wrong; in a society where people are so wishy-washy, she taught me that there are true standards- and that they are obtainable.

I love my mom's stories and her jokes. I love that we can have fun together. I love that we sometimes laugh so hard that we're both crying. I miss just hanging out with her the most. I love spending time with her, even if it's just eating breakfast together, or riding in the car, or going shopping at the grocery store. I love talking on the dock in Maine, and sailing the Sunfish together, and going out on the lake in our kayaks.

Lastly (because this is getting long), I'm so glad that my mom brought me up with morals and standards. I'm eternally grateful that she brought me to church and taught me about God when I was a little kid. I'm glad that she taught me to do what was right, to love God, and to love other people. Really, these are the most important things in life. I'm glad my mom knew that, and that she shared that with me. I love and appreciate my mom more every day. I'll be happy if I'm half the woman she is someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment