Sunday, December 4, 2011

Waterfall Braid

Okay, so I'd heard about Pinterest before, but never really had much interest in joining it. I mean, what's the point of having an online pinboard? Can't you just look up recipes yourself when you need them? But my friend Bettina told me about some of the cool things she's found on Pinterest, so I decided to take a look. The thing is, people are really creative and some of the stuff is pretty inspiring! It's not just recipes and crafts- there's info on fashion, hairstyles, photography, fitness, and even some motivational sayings. There's also the occasional picture of a celebrity, which I don't really understand. And I've noticed that there's lots of pictures of places like Italy and Greece, too. Not helpful. It just makes me want to go there more!

Anyway, I came across a picture of this hairstyle, which I just absolutely LOVE!
My inspiration
It's called a Waterfall Braid, and the trick is to leave out strands of hair as you braid so that the extra pieces cascade down from the rest of the braid. You can youtube "waterfall braid" for tips on how to do it. I thought this was such a cool, unique look. I tried to do it myself, although mine didn't turn out nearly as well as that picture.
My first attempt. I did mine a little differently. I started from each side so that the braids met in a V in the middle. It looks a little uneven in these pictures, but I swear, it wasn't!
This is a close-up, but it's still a little hard to see. I thought this hairstyle was great for my hair, because I have thin hair. Usually if I try to braid part of it back like that, there's not enough hair still hanging down for it to look good. But this way, you leave pieces out, so there's hair coming out of the braid all the way around. I'm going to have to experiment more and see if I can do a better job with it, but I was impressed by how cool it looked even with my first attempt!

*Update* My second attempt. (Actually I had to re-do it about 5 times). This time I tried to do one braid and wrap it around instead of doing two that meet in the middle. The hard part is figuring out what to do once you get to the end! Eventually, I just braided a few extra times and then twisted the hair to make it stay.

So cool, and it's not very hard. Like I said, the hardest part is figuring out what to do with the rest of the hair at the end. Hopefully with practice I can get it to look more like that original picture.

1 comment:

  1. Love! They are also called Princess Braids; I saw someone do one on a Youtube video ;)

    ReplyDelete