Thursday, April 19, 2012

Falling off the bandwagon

For the past week I have been exhausted. It seemed that no matter how much sleep I got, it was never enough. I felt worn out physically, but it took a few days for me to realize that I was worn out spiritually and emotionally as well. You see, I had fallen off the bandwagon with my devotions and running routine. I'd been doing so well for MONTHS, but it all fell apart so quickly and easily.

Disciplining yourself doesn't get easier. Waking up early enough to have time for my devotions and a six mile run doesn't get easier. I tend to think it will. That suddenly it'll become easy, that I'll just fall into a habit with my morning routine. I have found that's not the case. Bad habits are so easy to come by, but good habits are hard to maintain.

Yesterday I was so tired that I took an afternoon nap. I barely had the energy to drag myself out of bed to head to my weekly Bible study. I've never been so exhausted during a Bible study. I wanted to curl up right there on the couch and go to sleep.

On the drive home I tried to assess why I've been feeling this way. I started to think maybe some of it is spiritual warfare. It's not just that I haven't been doing a morning quiet time or exercising. Lately I've had a rebellious spirit towards God. I say I want to follow God, but let's be honest: living that out day to day is hard. Right now I want to sin. I want to do what I want to do and not worry about what God thinks. I want to live life my own way. I want to be selfish.

I'm still struggling with this rebellious attitude. I don't really want to follow God right now. The interesting thing is that last night I decided I needed to get back to my morning routine. I woke up at 6am, spent time reading my Bible, and ran six miles. Even though I woke up earlier than normal, I had the most energy I've had in a week. I'm not back to where I want to be yet, but it's a start.

I found this great quote on discipline. This is what I'm starting to learn.
"Discipline is doing what you don't want to do when you don't want to do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment