Friday, June 8, 2012

Greek Festival

Audrey and I went to a Greek Festival last weekend! It was a great opportunity to try some authentic Greek food.

I used to be a really picky eater, but I've gotten a lot better as I've gotten older. I used to hate branching out of my comfort zone and eating foods from different cultures. Now I will at least try something before I decide I don't like it. I haven't eaten Greek food very many times, so I tried some new things.

Pastichio: Layers of imported Greek Pasta, grated cheese, and sautéed ground beef topped with a rich cream sauce (béchamel) and baked. It was kind of like lasagna with a lot of meat in it. Really good.

Spanakopita: A blend of spinach, cheeses and herbs wrapped in a buttered fillo dough. This was my favorite! The dough was flaky and delicious and the spinach and cheese was the perfect combo.

Galaktoboureko: Delicately flavored custard baked in fillo pastry topped with a delicate syrup. I liked this better than I thought I would. I usually don't like custard that much, but this was good, and the perfect amount of sweetness.

Everything was delicious! I don't even want to think about how many calories we consumed with that meal! But I'm glad it was good because we had to wait in line for 30 minutes to get our food. It turns out the Greek Festival was a lot more popular than we had anticipated!

No comments:

Post a Comment