Sunday, June 3, 2012

Marathon Training

Awhile ago I posted about the races I had planned for the spring. Since then I have added several races to my schedule. Here's the plan for the rest of the year!

June 23: Dauber Dash. 5 miles with obstacles. Richmond, VA. (possibly)
July 22: Old Port Half Marathon. 13.1 miles. Portland, ME.
Sept 2: Rock N Roll Half Marathon. 13.1 miles. Virginia Beach, VA.
Sept 29: The Genworth Virginia 10 miler. Lynchburg, VA.
Nov 10: Anthem Richmond Marathon. 26.2 miles. Richmond, VA.

Did you notice that last one? I'm signed up for the Richmond marathon in November! Crazy, I know. A year after running my first race ever (the Richmond half marathon) I will be toeing the line to run a full marathon. If you asked me a year ago, I would've said that I'd never be able to run that far. I'm still not completely sure if I'll make it, but the thing is, I want to try!

To make my training easier, I signed up for the Marathon Training Team. It's a running group led by several coaches who pace you during training runs and cheer you on during the marathon. The first training run was today. We ran 7 miles and it was awesome! It's the best I've felt on a run in awhile. My legs felt strong, the pace was brisk (for me), which made me keep pushing myself, and there were people to chat with as I ran. I fell into pace with another woman and we chatted on and off for the first 5 or so miles. Then I started to get my second wind and she started falling behind. She could tell I was kind of hanging back to stay with her, so she urged me to keep going.

After running the next mile or so by myself, I caught up to another group of people and ran the last mile with another nice woman. Running people are so friendly! I loved running with the MTT more than I thought I would. It was fun just to be outside with other runners. I didn't feel so alone and I had motivation to stay with the pack and not get left behind! I think it will be fun to meet other runners and I'm excited to run with a group every weekend, especially when the runs get long.
We met at Sportsbackers stadium for a brief meeting before our first run.

1 comment: