Saturday, July 31, 2010

Zumba

Today I tried Zumba for the first time and loved it! The gym on Cary St. offers all kinds of fun classes, so I think I’m going to check out more of them (especially now that I know where the gym is!) Zumba was really high energy and a really good workout. I liked it even though I was pretty bad at it. There were three Indian girls in the front of the class who were really good, so I tried to follow them, but didn’t come anywhere close to moving like they did! Some of the steps are complicated and hard to follow, but I hope if I go to Zumba a couple days a week I can get the hang of it soon. I also really want to try yoga and a class called “boot camp”.

I found out that my bus pass expires at the end of July even though my class doesn’t end until August 11th. So yesterday I went to the office to get a new bus pass and discovered that they’d changed their policy to include bus passes for students. Instead of paying $50 for next semester’s bus pass, I got it for free! (Although I’m sure I’m still paying for it with my tuition.) I actually enjoy riding the bus to class each day because it’s a chance to just relax in the morning. I’m also glad that I don’t have to try to find (or pay for!) parking in the city. The only downside is that you have to wait awhile for the bus sometimes. One of the things I hate the most in the mornings is walking up to the bus stop just as a bus is driving by. I know another one will come by in 5-10 minutes, but it still irks me.

One of the things I like when I’m driving in Richmond is that the pedestrian crosswalks have the signal lights that count down. It’s great because I know exactly how many seconds I have before the light turns yellow. I don’t really drive that much in Richmond, but when I do, it’s not that bad compared with other cities. I’m starting to figure out how to get around, where to park, and which streets to avoid because they’re only one-way. Richmond’s not that complicated. When all else fails, I simply make my way to Broad Street and I can find my way from there!

Tonight- Flying Squirrels baseball game!

2 comments:

  1. After Lynchburg, I totally understand why Richmond would be easily navigable. :)

    I empathize with you running after a bus that's just leaving--I hated that when I was in Chicago. Another pet peeve of mine is getting on a bus that's chock full of people...and none of them looking at each other even though they're on top of each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I hate a crowded bus. What's even more awkward is when someone heavy sits next to you and kind of takes up more than their share of the seat...

    ReplyDelete