Friday, March 25, 2011

My life gets kind of boring

I haven't posted much in the past several weeks, but that's because nothing really exciting has happened lately (with the exception of spring break). Here in Richmond during school, it's been just one long week of classes and tests after another. This is more like what I originally thought grad school would be. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't that bad, but now I see that it is that bad (and worse!) at times. Not all the time, which is nice, but it seems to happen all at once in week-long spurts.

I've had 2 tests in the past 2 days, and I have no idea how I did. Usually I'm good at gauging what grade I got, but this time I just don't know. I'm pretty sure I passed, but that's as far as my confidence goes. I'm not freaking out about it though. I definitely have a more laid-back, stress-free attitude when it comes to tests these days. Now that I've gotten my first C on a test in grad school, I've realized that it's not the end of the world (...and the required meeting with the professor wasn't that bad). So my new philosophy is that I'll study and try my best, but I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. My goal is to be a good physical therapist, NOT get the best grades.

In contrast, here are some of my classmates' philosophies:
The minimalist: "If I get an A, that means I studied too hard. All we need is a B average and I want to do the bare minimum." (Yes, someone actually told me this!)
The cram and dump: "I'm going to study the night before the test, dump out all the information I learned, and immediately forget everything." (Hello? We need to remember this stuff in the clinic someday!)
The comparers (and complainers): "I study so hard and everyone else is doing better than I am. It's not fair!"
The overachievers: "I have to get all A's, so I'm going to freak out over every test, project, practical, lab, and any other assignment."

I like to call mine the Best, not Stressed philosophy: I'll do my best to learn the material, but I won't stress out over grades. It's helped me keep my sanity this semester!

1 comment: