Friday, March 4, 2011

Warning: Curves ahead

Grad school is going to be full of ups and downs. Luckily, after a few downs, I finally feel back "up". I got my grades back from my two hard tests, and thankfully the professors curved the grades! I'm definitely grateful for those extra points. I'm going to have to study better for the next round of tests, but the good part is that I now have an idea of how the professors write their tests. So I should be able to study more effectively. Theoretically, at least! :)

It's really funny how some of the slackers in the back have such a hard time paying attention. Granted, it does get a little difficult to stay awake when it's 2pm and the professor decides to dim the lights so we can see the powerpoint better. I sit in the second row and I get a little drowsy at that point too. But there's always coffee (and other caffeinated drinks)! If you know you have the tendency to fall asleep, why not bring soda, or red bull, or go to bed earlier? There's this one guy in my class who used to doze off all the time, until finally one of the professors told him he needed to find some way to stay awake in class. His solution to the problem was to stand up during class, so now he stands at the back of the room for an entire two hours during Micro lecture. It is too funny!

One of the things I hate about M&A is that we'll learn about some kind of special test and then we'll learn that it's not that valid or reliable and we'll hardly ever use it. WHY ARE WE LEARNING ABOUT IT THEN??? It just doesn't seem reasonable for a PT guest lecturer to come in and demonstrate a special test, then say "I've worked with shoulder patients for 30 years and I've never used this". Last class, Dr. Puzzle told us about a special test for the cervical spine. Then he asked us what we thought the evidence was for it. Let me guess: NOT GOOD. And we were right.

I did get some exciting news this week! We got matched to our clinical sites and I got my top choice! I'm going to be at VCU hospital working in the Rehab/Neuro/Brain injury unit for 6 weeks. I'm glad I finally know where I'm going to be this summer. After that, it's just another curve in the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment