Friday, June 24, 2011

Last day of clinical

I finished my clinical today! Yesterday Melanie and Jessica (my two clinical instructors) and I went over my performance and had to fill out evaluations on 18 different criteria set up by the APTA. In the comments section at the end, Melanie said that I would "excel as a physical therapist". Now that was some good news to hear! At times I didn't feel like I was doing a very good job, so that was so encouraging. One of my patients today kissed my hand and thanked me for my patience with him and my encouragement to help him reach his potential. It's the moments like these that I remember. When patients get better, that's great, but when they are thankful for all the hard work you've put in to help them get better, that's wonderful. It's nice to be appreciated by the patients we try so hard to help.

Today was also pretty great because it started off with a huge breakfast we had for a new PT, Rachel, who recently passed her boards and got hired. In the rehab department, there is always a reason to celebrate something, and it usually involves food! Between birthdays, holidays, baby showers, old PTs leaving, and new PTs getting hired, there's a big lunch or breakfast at least every other week. I can't wait to be a PT just because of the food! As we were finishing breakfast, Melanie called and invited us to come see her baby. She went into labor last night and her son was born around 5am this morning. We went to see her and brought her food (of course) and it was amazing to see that sweet, purple little baby!

I'm so glad to finally be done. At last I get to take a break and enjoy summer. I really enjoyed the inpatient rehab setting, but it's definitely hard, challenging work, especially since I have very limited knowledge and experience so far. I'm glad I got to meet the patients and PTs that I did, and I've certainly learned a lot. But today, after a long stressful week, I'm just completely exhausted and so happy to be done for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment