Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bad things come in threes

Wednesday was an absolutely horrible day.

It started with a phone call that my friend Bettina got between classes. Her dad called to say that her mom had passed out in the shower, so they were on their way to the hospital. Bettina was worried, but hoping that everything would be okay. Then she got a call two hours later to find out that her mom had a brain aneurysm that had burst on the way to the hospital. She was sobbing in the hallway and Alicia and I didn't know what to do! We gathered her stuff together so she could leave school, got her some tissues, and she was crying and I was crying. It was just awful. It was a very emotional day.

Bettina left and the rest of us went back to class and tried to focus on school. When classes were finally over, all I wanted to do was go home, eat some ice cream, and study for my test on Thursday. I opened the freezer when I got home, and everything was melted! That was NOT what I wanted to deal with right then. I called the emergency number for our apartment and they said they would send a repair guy. Meanwhile, I went through the freezer and threw out anything that was complete mush.

When the repair guy got there, he said that there was nothing he could do to fix it and he'd try to find us a new fridge. He told me to start unloading everything out of the old fridge. I loaded up a cooler with all the food that seemed okay, stacked the condiments on the counter, and threw some stuff away, but there was still tons of food in the fridge. I was getting frustrated dealing with all this by myself. Luckily Kelly and Audrey came home at that point and started helping me. We managed to save a lot of the food, distributed among three coolers. The repair guy came back that night with a fridge which he had taken from an unoccupied apartment. Unfortunately, it was dirty inside, so we spent the next 30 minutes cleaning the fridge before we could use it.

To top it all off, I checked my e-mail that night, and my car insurance is going up by hundreds of dollars! Not a good ending to a very bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment