Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Saving an hour

Daylight savings time ended last Sunday, which meant that we gained an hour. It was so nice getting up at my usual time on Sunday but having an extra hour in the morning! So nice, in fact, that I had an idea. Wouldn't it be cool if I didn't change the time on my alarm clock so I could feel like I had an extra hour every day? I can "save" my hour and only set my clock back when I'm ready to.

It works like this: during the day I go by normal time (aka "new time"). My cell phone and wristwatch are set to the correct time so that I'm on the same schedule as everyone else. But my alarm clock is still set to "old time" and I go to bed and wake up by the time on my alarm clock. I use my extra hour this way: I sleep in for 1/2 an hour longer, but I still have 1/2 an hour more time in the morning. I've been using that half an hour to do my devotional in the morning and it has been AMAZING. God is teaching me so much. I go to bed excited that I'll be able to wake up and read my Bible and write in my journal the next morning!

In effect, all I'm doing is going to bed an hour earlier and waking up half an hour earlier, but with the time change, I didn't have to adjust my internal clock at all. Basically I've been going to bed at 9pm (but it feels like 10pm) and waking up at 5:30am (but it feels like 6:30am). Somehow it's psychologically easier if I don't see the actual time on my alarm clock when I'm waking up so early! Time is so relative.

One thing I've learned this week is how awesome it is to spend time with God first thing in the morning. I've never been a morning person, so I never wanted to do my quiet time in the morning, but it has been a great start to my day. I'm also learning to covet my time with God. I need to fight to make time for it. I need to guard that time fiercely and not let anything get in the way of it. I need to do whatever it takes to make time to spend time with God- whether I have to go to bed earlier, wake up earlier, stay up later, or plan time in my planner. Even if I have to save an hour. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment