Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mid-year book reviews

Jan/Feb: Anna Karenina
Anna Karenina was an interesting book about family life and fidelity in Russian society. The storyline keeps switching among three main characters/couples. There was one couple/storyline I cared about, another one was interesting because the characters were headed for inevitable destruction, and one storyline was rather boring. There were some sections I read where I couldn't put the book down and others where I struggled to make it through each chapter. In the end it was pretty good, but not amazing. Also, you have to have a lot of time, because it's a LONG book. Towards the end, I just wanted it to be over. Rating: 3/5

March: Hunger Games series
I loved the Hunger Games series! I thought they were creative and exciting books. I read them over Spring break - good thing, because I couldn't put them down! The first two books were amazing: suspenseful, imaginative, and at times heart-wrenching. The last book fell a little flat, in my opinion. There were so many action scenes and battle sequences, it read like a movie script rather than a book. However, the last book does have a satisfactory ending, so overall the series hits the mark. Rating: 5/5

April: Little Bee
Little Bee was an intriguing book. The summary on the back cover is intentionally vague because the author doesn't want to "spoil the story". So I didn't know much before I started reading, except that it was a story about two women and how their lives intertwine after some mysterious event. Part of the fun and suspense of the book is trying to put together the pieces of the story and figure out each woman’s secrets. The story goes back and forth between each character’s point of view. I liked one girl’s narration better - she was more original and witty than the other woman - so I found myself looking forward to her chapters more. Unfortunately, the ending seemed a little contrived. Rating: 3/5

May: Wake, Once a Runner

Wake was a fun book! It’s unique and interesting: it’s a story about a girl who gets pulled into other people’s dreams. Because of her weird ability, she knows other people’s deepest secrets, fears, and desires. However, she is powerless to change the dreams, and her “gift” becomes a curse at school as she gets pulled into dreams at inopportune times. This book was a real page-turner. It’s not the best YA book ever, but it’s a fun, fast, suspenseful read. 
Rating: 4/5

I thought I would really like “Once a Runner”. I enjoy stories about athletes overcoming obstacles and working hard to meet their goals, and I like to run! I’d heard that this was “the best book ever written about running”, so I had high expectations. The book was… unusual. The author used outdated metaphors, which was confusing. He also approached each chapter from a different perspective, which sometimes hindered the flow of the story. What the author did capture was the fanatical work ethic and unwavering dedication required to become a top-notch athlete. However, at times this obsession was depressing rather than inspiring. Still, the book had many memorable quotes and the highlight of the book was the final race, which was a true masterpiece. Rating: 3/5

June: What Happened to Goodbye
I usually like Sarah Dessen books for what they are- quick easy reads, perfect beach books. This one was kind of boring though. It seemed like it took forever for anything to actually happen. The girl was just constantly going back and forth between her house and her dad's restaurant! The last third of the book was a little better as the relationship between her and the boy next door starting getting interesting, but still it was just okay. If you want to read a Sarah Dessen book, I would try “Just Listen”, “The Truth About Forever”, or “Lock and Key”. Those are my three favorites, in that order. Rating: 2/5

July: Matched, Crossed, Peach Keeper
Okay, I admit it, I bought "Matched" because it was recommended to me on Goodreads based on my interest in "The Hunger Games". The thing is, it did not disappoint! "Matched", like "The Hunger Games" is set in a future world, where a central government controls everything. Other than that, the stories play out very differently. In "Matched", the Society controls what you eat, what you wear, even who you marry. This becomes a problem when the main character, Cassia, is matched to one boy, but falls in love with another. The first book was amazing. The second book "Crossed" was very good, and I can't wait for the third book "Reached" to come out in November! Watch the Matched trailer if you want to see a fun teaser for the book. Rating: 4/5 

Peach Keeper
The "Peach Keeper" was just okay. I have a friend who loves Sarah Addison Allen's books. Laura describes her books as magical, like a dessert that's too sweet, but you eat it anyway. I was intrigued by this description, so I decided to give one of Allen's books a try. At times it was funny and cute, but it was also corny and predictable. The main problem was that the relationships in the story seemed unrealistic, although I thought a few of the supporting characters were loveable. It was kind of a cute story about friendship, but ultimately very forgettable. Rating: 2/5

All in all, I've read some great books this year! I would recommend any of the books that I rated a 3/5 or higher, so if you're looking for some new books to read, give some of the ones on this list a try. I've been meeting my goal to read at least one book per month. I hope to read many more good books in the second half of 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment