Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Music videos

Today while dinner was cooking, I decided to browse youtube for a while and watch some music videos. Here are my observations:

Lady GaGa
“Telephone” is one of the weirdest and worst videos I’ve ever seen. First of all, it’s over 9 minutes long (much longer than the actual song). Besides that, it doesn’t make any sense. In the first several minutes of the video, Lady Gaga is thrown into prison and stripped of all her clothes. Throughout the video, she’s in prison; in a car, and in a diner. Yet in the actual song, she’s talking about not having enough time to talk on the phone because she’s at a club with a drink in her hand. The lyrics and the visuals just don’t match up. Then there are stupid parts like Lady Gaga’s sunglasses being made out of cigarettes and dialogue like this: “once you kill a cow, you’ve got to make a burger”.

I watched a couple of Lady Gaga’s other videos just to compare them. “Bad Romance” is one of the most annoying songs in the world to me, but the video for it was slightly better. I still don’t understand the need for the ridiculous outfits and semi-nudity though. It’s gross. I also watched the video for “Just Dance” which was the best of the three, but that’s probably because it was released way before the other two. I think Lady Gaga is progressively getting worse.

Kelly Clarkson
On a positive note, I also discovered that Kelly Clarkson had some new videos out that I hadn’t seen yet. I watched “Already Gone”, “My life would suck without you”, and “I do not hook up”. I think the thing I like most about Kelly is that she seems so normal and down-to-earth. I like the fact that she has a normal body rather than being super skinny. She looks gorgeous in her videos, but she also looks like an average American girl. Her videos range from fun to amusing to poignant, but they’re always real, and I think that’s why I liked them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment