Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Things I'll miss about Liberty

As finals week comes to a close (only one more exam to go!) I've been reminiscing about my college experience at Liberty. Yesterday I took a study break at the outdoor pool and had a sudden realization: I'm going to miss this place. Liberty University is a unique place that's far from the "typical college experience". Here are some of the things I'll miss.

1. Knowing lots of people who really care about you. This is due in part to LU being a smaller school (although it's growing quickly, and isn't as small as it once was), but it's also because the administration, RA's, SLD*'s and prayer leaders make an effort to get to know all the girls in their dorm. The class sizes are generally small too so it's easy to get to know people. In general, Liberty is a community that's so close and connected. I think it's due to the fact that so many students share the same values and beliefs. That's going to be hard to find elsewhere. (*SLD= spiritual life director. They are second in command to RA's and are involved in encouraging unity and group activities on the hall.)

2. Conversations about God. I've had so many great discussions with people and learned a lot about myself and what I believe. There are a lot of students at LU with so much knowledge about the Bible, different religions, and different church denominations. Before I came to LU, I was pretty clueless about a lot of theological topics. Since I've been here, I've been challenged, confused, and encouraged, and through it all I've grown quite a bit spiritually. I'm going to miss those candid and open conversations about God- it feels so natural at LU, but a lot of people seem to get uncomfortable with those types of conversations.

3. Conservatism. It's kind of nice when the majority of people share the same conservative values. Where most people are pro-life, Republican, etc. I grew up in Massachusetts, so I also know what it's like to be around many people who don't share the same values- it's not that I can't be friends with those people, it's just that sometimes it gets very lonely being the one who's different. Conservatism is about more than political views, though. It's also about the way you dress, the language you use, and the way you treat other people. I've enjoyed being around people who value modesty and who try to respect themselves and others. Liberalism might be the biggest culture shock I'll have to deal with when I emerge from the "Liberty bubble".

It's been a great 5 years LU! I'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment