Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Speak Now

Taylor Swift's new cd, Speak Now, is absolutely amazing! The girl definitely has a talent for writing songs that are extremely personal, yet appeal to millions of fans all over the world (as evidenced by the fact that her record sold over a million copies in the first week, and has been the first album this year to do so).

I absolutely love the maturity and vulnerability of her songs. I love it when songs have "moments", and there are plenty of those on this cd. I'm talking about when Taylor's voice gets soft and intense, as if to say "listen up, here's the most meaningful part of the song" or when the song builds up to a crescendo of emotion. Some of her songs give me chills, literally! I'm impressed that she wrote all the lyrics herself- her lyrics are clever, creative, and heartfelt all at the same time. She uses an interesting choice of words and analogies that create a striking picture for the listener who takes note of what she's saying. These are some of my favorite lyrics from the album:

Mine
"Flash forward and we're taking on the world together... we've got bills to pay, we've got nothing figured out"
This sends a message that it's okay not to know everything and not to have a solution to everything. What matters is that you're there for each other. It doesn't matter what life throws your way, because you're going through it together.

Sparks Fly
"the way you move is like a full-on rainstorm, and I'm a house of cards"
The idea is that someone else can affect you very powerfully. I think she's talking about those people who are so charismatic and confident, that we don't stand a chance against the force of their personality. They kind of take us by storm and turn our world upside-down. We can't help being captivated.

Back to December
"I'd go back in time and change it, but I can't. So if the chain is on your door, I understand."
In this line, Taylor expresses deep regret for making a mistake, but also realizes that she may never have the opportunity to fix it. She's gracefully accepting the consequences of her actions, while still taking time to apologize and admit that she was wrong.

Speak Now
"the organ starts to play a song that sounds like a death march"
It's ironic that a wedding march can sound like a death march, but not if you're dreading the wedding and not if you feel like the couple is making a mistake! This phrase reminds me of songs I used to like, but don't anymore because they're now associated with something bad. It's the idea of something good becoming something bad based on the situation and how it's interpreted.

The Story of Us
"Now I'm standing alone in a crowded room and we're not speaking; and I'm dying to know is it killing you like it's killing me? ...I've never heard silence quite this loud."
I love the emotion and all the double meanings. I like the irony of it.

Never Grow Up
"I won't let nobody hurt you, won't let no one break your heart, and no one will desert you- just try to never grow up"
Man, you can only protect your kids for so long. In a way, growing up is a tragedy. You have to experience all the trials and heartbreaks of life. It was easier to be little. It was easier when mom and dad could make everything okay.

Last Kiss
"I love how you walk with your hands in your pockets, how you'd kiss me when I was in the middle of saying something; there's not a day I don't miss those rude interruptions"
It's definitely the little things we miss about someone. Even the things that we might have found annoying at the time.

Long Live
"Will you take a moment, promise me this: That you'll stand by me forever- but if God forbid, fate should step in and force us into a goodbye, if you have children someday, when they point to the pictures, please tell them my name. Tell them how the crowds went wild, tell them how I hope they shine. Long live the walls we crashed through; I had the time of my life with you."

This is one of my favorite parts of the whole cd. Taylor is thanking her band, her producers, her fans, and anyone who has helped her get to where she is today. She's living her dreams. At the same time, she realizes that this might not last forever. Someday down the road, maybe only the pictures will be left. But nobody can take away the experiences she's had and the memories she's made.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to get this album!!! Mine has become one of my favorite songs ;) Hope all is still going well...PS I don't think I have that funny arm muscle thing either...weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You have to buy it! All the songs are so good! You'll love "Better Than Revenge". I love that one and "Long Live" a lot right now.

    ReplyDelete