Sunday, November 28, 2010

T-break

This Thanksgiving break was filled with lots to be thankful for (family, friends, and a new texting plan!) but also several mishaps. My first day back home, I went to the gym to work out with Leslie and my mom. We went to an aerobics class called "Body Attack" and it was intense! My calves and lats hurt for days afterwards. Unrelated to this, my back started hurting unexpectedly my second day home. Every once in awhile I get horrible back spasms, where one spot in my back feels like a huge knot. There's not much I can do about it, except beg someone to give me a massage (which gives me about 30 minutes of relief), rub some tiger balm on it (burns in a good way), and hope it goes away soon. The thing that sucked about it was that my back hurt so bad I couldn't sleep- and I was really looking forward to getting lots of sleep when I was home. Add into the mix that I had to get up early at least 3 out of the 5 mornings I was home, and physically, this break was not exactly what I had hoped it would be in terms of rest.

On the bright side, I did have a lot of fun. Leslie, Kyle, and I finished the latest Nancy Drew game, along with a batch of homemade caramel popcorn. We always have to have caramel popcorn when we play Nancy Drew. It's a tradition. This time, we drizzled the popcorn with different melted chocolate chips. We had Reese's, Tuxedo, and dark chocolate flavors. Leslie and I also made some Christmas jewelry over break. It's harder to make earrings than you would think. We kept gluing our fingers together.

I’m the last one to head back to school, since Leslie and Kyle drove back yesterday. The two of them hadn’t driven more than an hour before they called to tell us that the car had broken down. They called a tow truck and my mom called the closest Volkswagen dealership. We were informed that there was no way it could be fixed that day, so my mom and I had to drive to Connecticut to bring them a car. My mom decided to let them borrow her brand-new Suburban until they come back for Christmas. So I drove the Suburban and my mom drove the truck to Connecticut. When we got there, Leslie and Kyle took off in the Suburban, while my mom and I were left to deal with everything.

Now I’m sitting at the airport waiting for my flight back to Richmond, wondering where my Thanksgiving break went. It was way too short, and I hate the fact that now I have to gear up for two weeks of classes and finals. At least I’ll be home again soon. But it still doesn’t seem fair that during my four days with my family, I had to get schoolwork done. Frankly, I blew it off, and now I’m going to try to get some of my essays done here at Logan. We’ll see how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your back feels better! Heard all about the crazy car incident from Les. Haha. At least they weren't farther away. Also, you got back really late! Good luck for these next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I got back around 1pm, but I wrote part of this at the airport and just couldn't post it until later. :)

    ReplyDelete