Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Apple Dumplings

I'd never tried to make apple dumplings before and this recipe sounded interesting. It involved refrigerated crescent roll dough and Mountain Dew. It sounded like a weird combination, but I decided to give it a try. This is another recipe from Our Best Bites.

Apple Dumplings
2 medium apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
cinnamon (for sprinkling)
12 oz. (1 can) Mountain Dew or Sprite

1. Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Peel apples and cut into 8ths.

2. Open a can of crescent roll dough and separate the dough along the perforations. Place 1/8 of an apple on one segment of dough. Wrap the apple in the dough and place in the prepared pan. Repeat with remaining apples and dough. Set aside.

3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add sugar and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour butter/sugar mixture over the apples, then pour the can of Mountain Dew or Sprite on top of everything. Sprinkle the pan with cinnamon.

4. Bake for 40 minutes at 350.

These seemed easy enough, but I don't know if I did a good enough job on wrapping the dough. Also, there seemed to be a lot of juice that ended up congealing in the pan after I refrigerated it, so maybe these work best straight out of the oven? They tasted pretty good (although kind of sweet) freshly baked, but after that I didn't like them as much. But I've never actually tried apple dumplings before so I don't really know how they're supposed to taste! This is definitely a recipe I'll try again sometime and see if I can improve on my first attempt.

Ease: 3/5
Taste: 3/5
Total: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment