Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Target saga

Today I decided I was going to go to Target after my clinical to get Taylor Swift's new cd. (yay!) It turned into quite a little adventure. (This is going to be complete rambling and stream of consciousness type stuff. You've been warned.)
 
First of all, of course today when I had to run 8 miles and go to Target after clinic, I ended up getting off late. I didn't get out until 5pm and by the time I took the shuttle back to my car and started my run it was 5:30. Which meant it was dark by the time I finished my run. Luckily I've found some well-lit roads to run on by the UVA campus, but there were still sections that were kind of dark and I did get lost for a little bit. The roads in Charlottesville are crazy and they change names about 5 times within 5 miles. Elliott turns into Cherry, Main turns into University which turns into Ivy, Barracks turns into Rugby which turns into Prescott. Wow, I actually just did that from memory! Running does have its advantages -  I learn the street names a lot quicker!

The other thing about running in Charlottesville is that it's HILLY! You would think that the uphill would be the worst part, but actually the downhill kinda freaks me out more. My number one concern now is getting injured before the marathon. I've worked WAY too hard not to be able to run if anything should happen. So I was trying to be really careful on the downhill sections and some of those puppies were steep! I must have looked like an idiot as I carefully shuffled my way down the hills, but I felt like I really took off on the flatter parts.

I actually have really enjoyed running in Charlottesville these past two days, despite all the hills. I was feeling good after my run. Normally I might have nixed Target since it was already getting late but I really wanted to go, so why not? I didn't realize quite how far away Target was though. With all the stores that are crammed into such a small area near UVA, you'd think there'd be a Target. I mean, I passed 3 Krogers and 3 Bodo Bagels on the way to Target. (Why are there so many Bodo Bagels? I have to try a bagel from there sometime!)

So I finally got to Target (it was a HUGE Target, I wish I would've had more time to look around, but it's probably good for my budget that I didn't). I didn't have to look far to find T.Swift's cd because they had a huge display with not only her cd, but t-shirts, make-up, perfume, posters, cards, and a Taylor Swift blanket. Girl knows how to market her stuff. She must be making bank on this one. I avoided most of the extra merch, but I did end up buying one tinylittleextrathing, just a cute card that was too adorable to pass up!

But just as I was making my way to the register with only about $17 worth of purchases, I got sideswiped by the DOLLAR SECTION. I mean seriously, they have some good stuff in there and it's just so dang cheap. I can never pass up dollar candy, especially if it's Scooby Doo gummies. And how about the cute little box of tissues to keep in my car? And the bag clips that I never have enough of? And oh yeah I definitely need more elastics! So $25 later, I was rolling out of Target with a whole bag of little items, thinking "Target got me again," but not feeling too bad because really everything was a great deal! (How does Target do that? They have some kind of magic in there that makes you happy to spend money on things you never intended to buy!)
 
By now I was starving, but being as great at planning ahead as I am, I had spotted a Chick-fil-A on the way there and knew where to stop. I've been trying to eat a little healthier, so I decided just to get the chicken sandwich and a soda and not get any fries. But later as I was still driving back (Target was really far away!), I was still hungry. And I thought, What the heck? I just ran 8 flipping miles, so I'm going to get some fries if I darn well please (but still just a small cuz I don't want to get fat). So I stopped at McDonalds (they have better fries than Chick-fil-A anyway) and got the most delicious HOT, salty fries. You know how sometimes McDonalds has really great fries and other times they're disappointing? I'm glad this was a time McD's did not let me down!

As I was looking at the menu in the drive-thru, I noticed McDonald's has some new holiday things that I'm dying to try! They have some new coffees: Peppermint Mocha and Salted caramel apple. They have a Holiday Peppermint McFlurry, and they have their EggNog milkshake (love!). I held off on getting anything else tonight but now I seriously can't wait to go back to McDonald's for some of that good stuff.

I finally made it back to my house (or rather Bettina and Paul's house) and now it's nearly my bedtime. I just realized that this entire post sounds like a big endorsement for fast food and candy- I guess I'm a fatty. I do have a huge sweet tooth and will always love McDonald's despite what anyone tries to tell me about how unhealthy it is. I guess it's a good thing I run; otherwise I would be about 300 pounds.

There's really no point to this post, other than the fact that I can obviously take one evening of my life where all I did was go to Target and get fast food and turn it into pages of mindless reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha...I have been forever craving McDonald's fries since I've been pregnant! Too bad salt's not the best for the baby. The day before Troy left he got me some though...I was like "best hubby ever!" but he made me promise not to go back often lol

    ReplyDelete