Thursday, October 18, 2012

Apple Pie - Crumble Topping

I always thought pies were hard to make, especially if I was going to attempt to make my own crust. However, this apple pie with a crumble topping is definitely the easiest pie I've ever made! And it tasted pretty darn good too. My one issue was that the bottom layer of crust stuck to the dish, so it was really hard to get the pieces of pie out of the pan intact.

My other complaint about apple pie is that you can't really eat it right out of the oven. The pie filling is too runny at first and it needs time to thicken. It's one of those times food is actually better reheated. That said, I enjoyed this apple pie both reheated and stone cold. I couldn't get enough of it! I got the recipe from Our Best Bites.
Apple Pie with Crumble Topping
 2 c. all-purpose flour
 2/3 c. brown sugar
 1/2 c. uncooked regular oats
 1/2 t. salt
 3/4 c. butter, melted
Filling:
 4 c. tart, thinly sliced apples (about 3 apples)
 1/3 c. white sugar
 1 1/2 t. cornstarch
 1/8 t. salt
 1/4 c. water
 1/2 t. vanilla
 
1. Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Pack 1 cup of the mixture into a measuring cup and set it aside; gently press remaining mixture into a 9″ pie plate. Be sure not to pack it in there too tightly or it will be too hard to slice the pie when it’s baked. (My mistake!)
 
2. Place sliced apples in pie crust.
 
3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, and vanilla and bring to a boil. After sugar/water mixture has come to a boil, pour the hot mixture over the apples.
 
4. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping over apples and then place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
 
5. Bake for 43-45 minutes at 350°.
 
Ease: 4/5
Taste: 5/5
Total: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment