Friday, October 19, 2012

Apple Pie - Lattice Top

Ugh. In my last post, I mentioned how I always thought pies were difficult? They are! That is, if you decide to make your own traditional pie crust. The crumble topping was easy, but this crust? not so much. I pretty much hate any dough that you need to roll out. Inevitably (at least for me), one corner gets too thin, or I don't use enough flour and the dough starts to get sticky, or the dough starts to fall apart when I try to transfer it. Next time, I'm all for refrigerated pie crusts!

Besides the pie crusts, the rest of the baking wasn't too hard. The filling was delicious even before I put the pie in the oven. This pie filling wasn't quite as runny as the other. The crust tasted good, even though I didn't make it look pretty. I got this recipe from Our Best Bites. They seriously have the best recipes!
Traditional Apple Pie
2 pie crusts (one for bottom, one for top). Our Best Bites has a great recipe for homemade pie crusts.
6 cups peeled, sliced apples (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
2 T. butter, chopped

1. Combine lemon juice and apples in a large bowl. Combine 1/2 c. sugar and next four ingredients, mixing well. Spoon over apple mixture, tossing gently. Spoon filling evenly into pie crust and dot with chopped butter.

2. Top with remaining pie crust. Be sure to make vents in the pie crust to allow steam to escape, or you can make a lattice top like I did.

3. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 50 minutes more. Keep an eye on the pie while it's baking. If necessary, cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from getting too brown.

Ease: 3/5
Taste: 4/5
Total: 7/10

I really liked the filling of this pie, although I liked the crumble topping of the other pie. Maybe in the future I'll try to combine the recipes and make the ultimate apple pie!

2 comments:

  1. I like the No-Fail Pie Crust recipe from Taste of Home ;) It has milk and vinegar in it to keep in really moist and elastic, plus it turns out really flaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe one day I'll try that one. "No-fail" sounds good to me. :) But I think I'm done with pie crusts for at least a little while!

      Delete